Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Grandpa Chuck

This is nearly impossible to sit down and write, but I'm going to do it. It has been a while since I've had the chance, or the courage to write a new blog post. I was so excited to share with you all the plans we had for Lola's first birthday, how much work we put into it, how adorable she looked, and some day soon I will. But right now I'd like to write a post about what really happened on Lola's first birthday. 

We received a phone call at 4am, that Chuck's dad had passed out and was taken in an ambulance. Chuck left to meet him there. But when he got there, it was too late. His father was already gone. The first thing I want to say about this, can you imagine? You can't. I can't. It's not anyone else's story. Its his. I know many people who have lost their father, but this one was his. 

I've struggled for the last two weeks now, with figuring out what my role is in this. I loved Chuck's dad too, but he wasn't my dad. He was my husbands dad. Someone my husband loved from the first day of his life. And that makes his pain, my pain. I've always sort of prided myself on being strong. But that day I knew, I'm only strong because I have a husband who is strong. We were heart broken together, and there was nothing I could do for him. 
This made me instantly feel weak.



I've always told you, and everyone I know how amazing my husband is. But I don't think there is enough words to truly get that point across. He just lost his father, and he came home to me, he rubbed my back as I cried, and he told me how much he loved me. We had 50+ people coming over that day to celebrate Lola's first birthday, we had hundreds of dollars spent on her party. I was about a minute away from calling every single one of them to cancel, and he said to me "I still want to have Lola's party. Its her day." 
THAT is how amazing my husband is. And even that is an understatement.

 


Grandpa Chuck was one of a kind. He loved riding his Harley, running the family business, and making Lola laugh. He got his nick name "Chucky-Luv" from his contagious smile and love for everyone. The most important thing for me to acknowledge about him is how much he loved Lola, and his three other grand kids. There was definitely a light in his eyes when they were together. A light I hope to never forget. To the man who made my husband a part of who he is, I could never thank you enough. You will be missed forever.

Lastly, if there is one thing I've learned from this, its to not let a single moment pass you by. Hug your loved ones. Hug them tight. Never for one second let them think there is anything but love between you. Every life is too short, no matter how old you are. Make it count. He sure did.


 Ride free.

No comments:

Post a Comment