Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Ear Infections



On September 30th, just 3 days before Lola's first birthday, she came down with a cold and ultimately a double ear infection. She hadn't been sick since May. All summer we had no runny nose, no cough, no doctors appointments, and no medicine. 

Today is January 24th, and we're on our 53rd day of antibiotics since then. Yes, I'm counting. We tried a round of Amoxicillin, 4 rounds of Augmentin, and now a round of Cefdinir. Lola is so used to getting medicine, she literally gives it to herself now, and loves it. If you say "lets get your medicine" she looks excited, and will open her mouth. It may sound cute, considering the first couple rounds we gave her, you had to hold her down. But to me, it sucks giving her this much medicine.
We would go to the pediatrician, she would say she's got an ear infection, consult an ENT. We would go to the ENT, and he would say "ears look good." She might be okay for a week, or 2 weeks. Then back to the pediatrician, and ENT, and so on. But now, I'm over it. We are finally getting tubes in her ears on Friday. I didn't want it to come to this, but I can't keep putting medicine into her. I chalked all her colds and ear infections up to being in day care and winter, but enough is enough. I'm more than terrified to have her put to sleep, because I've been put to sleep so many times and I absolutely hate it. But I know, at least I hope, this means no more medicine!
The ENT doing the tubes removed my tonsils and a huge abscess in my throat when I was younger. I feel a little bit better about that. 

Long story short, and I don't do this very often, but I'm asking for positive thoughts and prayers for Friday morning, and for the rest of winter so that our sweet girl can just go about her day and play with her toys like a little toddler should. And to wish mommy luck not to have a nervous breakdown in the waiting room. Thankfully daddy (the strong one) will be with us the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment