Monday, May 9, 2016

My First Mother's Day

Being a mom was something I knew I always wanted. As an adult, something I longed for. As a married adult, something we worked hard at making happen. And it far exceeds my many expectations. The 6:00am wake ups, the formula stained couch, the never ending laundry piles, the tears every time you walk into the other room just real quick, the sagging hips and gut from pregnancy, the arguments you now have with your husband, the hormones, the heavy car seat that gives your shoulders and back knots carrying it back and forth every day, the post-partum migraines, the poop in the tub, the poop on your new rug, the poop on your clean changing sheet. 
Worth it. 
All of it. 
Because holding her, making her smile, laughing with her, watching her learn how to put a ball into the right spot of the toy. 
They're feelings you never knew you could feel.  
They're moments you know are going to be too fast, too short, and too fleeting. 
They make me take more selfies together, read more books, dance more in the kitchen, sing more songs together, and rock a little longer before bed.


How sweet is this homemade frame and craft made by Lola 
(aka her teachers at day care!) Melted my heart. I'm keeping it forever.

My First Mother's Day was one for the books! My peanut walked into the bathroom with her daddy carrying a sweet mothers day card, signed (left handed by dad). But her face was the most priceless thing. She was smiling ear to ear and acting excited, like she knew what she was doing. I have to give my husband credit for always being so sweet and funny, and just making everything so much more fun.


 It doesn't hurt that he rocks at gifts either. This was my Mothers Day gift that I had been talking about since Lola was born and we couldn't find anywhere, and nobody wanted to make it because opals are so fragile. I looooove it and plan to wear it every day forever. They say to wear your rings like this for "love, marriage, and baby" Guess I can't have too many kids, huh?


So every year for Mothers Day I take my mom to get a pedicure. This year we did manicures too. This is one of my favorite traditions we have. Because it's always just me and my mom. We spend a lot of time together, between family get togethers, shopping trips, walks on the bike path, and random Saturdays when Chucks working and I'm bored. I can honestly say my mom is my best friend.  Other then Chuck of course, there is nobody I would rather spend time doing anything with. We only live about 15 minutes away from each other, and some days or nights, I feel like it's too far. I wish we lived next door so stopping in any time was easier. One day (hopefully insanely far into the future), I know my mom won't be here, and thinking about that thought breaks me to my core. Mothers Day has always been special to me as an adult, but becoming a mother, it changes you. It makes you ache in places you never knew you had worrying about your child. My mom has three children, three in-law children, and six grandchildren. Do you know how big her heart must be? She's an incredible human being, and single handedly the most amazing mother.


We spent Sunday hosting Mothers Day brunch at our house. Another tradition we've had for the past 5ish years. So glad we got a photo of all the moms with their kiddos. We have such a fun, growing family. I love how close we all are and how much time we get to spend with each other. My sister in laws are amazing moms to my nieces and nephews who have always been the best kids that we all just have so much fun with. And my grandma tops all grandmas with her killer food, amazing generosity, and 100% pure West Virginian sweetness.


Brunch was delicious. I haven't gotten to host any thing since Lola was born, but I love choosing a menu, and creating a party! Any reason to celebrate really is my thing. We had waffles, bacon, cheesy sausage potatoes, a cheese board, a cheese ball, an egg bake, meatballs, mimosa's, and strawberry cake bars. Of course I didn't make all of this.... All the mentioned ladies above helped!



 And last but not least, a photo of my mom, grandma, myself and Lola. 
Four generations of women in our family! Another traditional photo I hope to capture for a long time.


Hope you all had a wonderful Mothers Day
What are some of your favorite Mothers Day traditions? I'm thinking we should be adding a massage to our list ;-)

1 comment: